Welcome! Looking for where to start? well, keep reading – as this is the perfect place for you to get started.
My Journey to Quitting Sugar
My journey with quitting sugar has been well worth the time and effort. Yes, for me this was a big effort. I didn’t seem to quit with the ease that some people say they have had.
I failed a few times, I would have a really bad week and just not be able to “hold out” any longer. I would end up binging on the foods I missed (or thought I missed!) and feel awful about myself. It would really be a cycle of start fresh, go through “life”, then have to start again and feel like the ability to quit was further away then before.
But I did it. I have done it and I live it. It no longer is a “thing” I do, or a “fad” that I am trying, but little decisions made through out my day, every single day. Basically it is life!
We are not perfect but I made a big effort to actually change the way I saw food and the way I reacted and then how I dealt with emotions. For me, this was an emotional journey through food. I worked out that when I was feeling moody or have had a bad day, my brain would fixate on something sweet to make me smile. It was like I needed just Something to make me feel good again since I couldn’t give myself that feeling without a hit of sugar. Now I am armed with the tools to deal with bad days, and if I want to splurge I am also armed with the safe recipes, which are also DELICIOUS!!, to not feel guilty or to really damage myself.
Now I live a low sugar diet, where I know what I am eating and I love it. I still have a piece of cake at my birthday or during special occasions I will have a few nibbles of the sweet stuff, but it is not every day and I certainly don’t feel the same way about sugar as I used to.
I am not perfect, I would love to meet someone who is, but I know that I am taking the steps to make my own life better. Most importantly the food I eat and the life I live is only for me and I want it to be a long and healthy one!
What Quitting Sugar is NOT
What is this site not about?
- There are no set of strict food rules and regulations.
- Food guilt! If you slip up, that is okay. Get up and start again and make better choices next time.
- We love fruit. This site is not anti fruit and neither is the I Quit Sugar guide. I do believe in resetting your taste buds by cutting fruit for the detox, which can be a week or more (totally up to you!) but then you can easily introduce fruit back into your diet.
- The is no “one size fits all” mentality. I believe that everyone is different and this may not work for everyone, or you may not want to do everything suggested. You decide what to do and you decide what part of quitting sugar works for you.
I am aware that everyone has different opinions on food and diets, so let’s keep that in mind that no one is perfect and we are all trying different methods to find what works for us!
So, Where Do I Start?
- What are the Symptoms of Sugar Addiction?
- How much sugar is in your favorite products?
- Weight Loss Tips when Quitting Sugar
- 10 Other Benefits of Quitting Sugar
- Nursing Your Sweet Tooth – Infographic
- Calculate Your Daily Sugar Intake: An Example
- Sugar is Killing Us
- Do I Eat Fruit… Should You Eat Fruit?
Some more information for once you have decided to quit sugar or are currently quitting sugar:
- People’s Reaction to Quitting Sugar – My Experience
- How to Navigate Social Gatherings when Quitting Sugar!
- Sugar’s Secret Code Names Revealed
- How to deal with Sugar Withdrawals
- How to Cut Back on Sugar
- 10 Ways to Prepare to go Sugar Free!
- Sugar Free Breakfast Ingredients
- How to Stick to your Sugar Free Lifestyle during the Holidays
- I Quit Sugar Cookbook – 108 Sugar Free Recipes!
- Top 5 Quitting Sugar Gift Ideas
- Falling off the Sugar Free Wagon